#wonitonanauction

#wonitonanauction

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Port Charles drama bleeds through to the interweb & An Open Letter to Sean Kanan

Quite a bit of drama and laughs from the lovely city of Port Charles bled out on to the interweb. Some of it was comedic, some was not only not comedic but had some dramatic implications for we the viewer, and for most of the people in town.

First the funny:


Maurice seems to be jealous of Nancy and William's new found hotness. Really who could blame him? Julexis is hot/steamy and Sonny hasn't had that in a little while. Plus who doesn't want to be with Alexis? She is quite amazing. Best part of this interaction? When Maurice responded to me, because we're basically like Bffs now. Sadly Will Devry never got involved in the conversation. His social media presence is more of vocal representation of his charities etc. He needs more comedy. Just sayin. 






 Sadly, the other PC bleed out was not so jolly. It was announced yesterday via TV Guide that Sean Kanan would be reprising his role on Bold & the Beautiful and thusly will be ending his time as AJ Quatermaine on General Hospital. In the TV Guide Interview Sean stated the following:
"I was utterly thrilled to be brought back to GH for the 50th anniversary and really enjoyed working with [executive producer] Frank Valentini, but I was not over the moon about the writing," Kanan says. "Doing stories about panic attacks and relish was not what I thought I'd signed up for. I feel I brought everything I could to the character yet it was obvious they weren't going to give me a great love story, which I found very disappointing."

It really saddens me that Sean felt that way. I've never been a fan of AJ over the years, but for the first time since '96 I found my self empathizing with him. The writers really did make it seem like he was attempting to change - at least at first. I even thought he and Elizabeth should make a go of it, which makes me wonder when Kanan start to feel unhappy. The destruction of the Elizabeth/AJ "romance" doesn't feel like that loedng ago, but it did seem to end abruptly. However, I don't think that romances are the only way to give a character good "meat" if you will. I think that AJ having to battle with his alcohol addiction, the guilt of possibly having killed Connie, etc gives Sean a lot of emotional ground to cover. Sure now it has been marred with talking to ghost Connie, but I think that could work, as long it was only on a short term basis. It saddens me that this decision also seemingly affects so many people in Port Charles. Michael has to deal with a parent's death, Ava is now going to get away with EVERYTHING (unless Sonny wises up of course), and even though I am not her biggest fan Monica will have lost her only remaining son. That's heartbreaking. On a grander scale the Quatermaines were the flagship family in Port Charles. A dynasty of troubled generations that were interconnected to every part of town - the hospital (Alan/Monica), the mob (Jason), the "business world" (Edward/Ned), and the new younger generation (Emily). At this point the family has but 2 core remaining members - Tracy/Monica. Sure Michael is technically a Q but with AJ gone he won't have any real connection as his true family is with Carly & Sonny. And yes, Ned & Skye are "out in the world " but they aren't the lynchpins the family will be in need of. It just makes me sad... the Qs were always so entertaining, and at their crazy cores had real heart. I miss Edward & Lila, a lot....As a result, I feel like the letter below is necessary.

An Open Letter to Sean Kanan


Dear Mr. Kanan,


First off, may I call you Sean? I feel like we've known each other for years. Sure we've never actually "met", but what is meeting anyway? You have graced my TV screen intermittently since 1996. You've gone from drunken mess, to man on a mission to rebuild over your time in Port Charles, and frankly you were the best AJ. Sure the other guy had acting chops, but there were so many reasons you were better. 

A) You look more like a Q - tall, dashing, with just the right amount of WASP-y goodness that exemplified the good breeding that came with being a Q (or a legitimate one anyway)

B) They always cast Michael to look like you, not Billy. The current resemblance is uncanny. 

C) You truly brought the most heart to the role. Billy was "cray cray AJ" the AJ that kidnapped, pushed pregnant people downstairs etc. You? You were just a drunk who needed someone to love him and yearned for the approval of his parents. 

I know that you said you were unhappy with the writing as of late and the direction AJ was going, but hey it could be worse right? Sure we can all agree the relish story line was nonsense, but hey even the GH writer's can have missteps right? Please don't hold that against them. I don't. I know you wanted a love story for AJ, and with the "breakup" with Liz they took that away from you, but did you really want AJ to be with Elizabeth? I mean, she is the worst! I'm sure if you hold out just a little bit longer they can write a new character to love/redeem AJ( they're just creating new characters left and right these days). Also please think of the lives you affect with your departure. Sure not real lives that matter, but the fake lives in Port Charles. Don't you think your TV son has dealt with enough at this point? And what about Ava? Only AJ knows the truth! Only he can save the day! Bet you never thought anyone would say that about AJ right? Please, please don't go. I never thought I'd say this, but I really want AJ to stay. Sure it will be bad for Sonny, but I'd be willing to see that play out for you. Lastly, I fear that Billy Warlock is ready to jump back in to the role - and we've already dealt with enough nonsense this year don't you think?

- A GH fan who wants you to stay (and can't believe that she is saying that)


The one thing I can agree with Kanan on is the ridiculousness of the RELISH story line. Over the 50 years of GH writing there have been few story lines that were so outrageous. It was so cartoonish and made the show seem more.... what's the word..... cheap. Almost all of the GH actors are wonderful at what they do, and you can tell were trying to work with it as best they could, but man some of that dialog was HORRIBLE. I am really not sure who lost a bet so as to make that story line happen, but hey they linked the Chew and GH so synergy right? Plus we got one of THE BEST SOUP MOMENTS in GH history





*it should be noted that despite my sarcastic commentary I truly love and respect every member of the cast and every one of the writers. Without them, I wouldn't have GH, and that's not a world we need to live in. 











No comments:

Post a Comment